We are passionate about empowering communities through outreach, education and public engagement. We bring this lens into all our work as a framework for fostering community, design literacy and sustainability. We support projects with creative approaches for events such as organizing public meetings, design charettes, community open houses, green building tours and neighborhood walks. We have also designed art installations, facilitated citizen advisory groups, developed surveys, and helped foster public-private collaborations.
OUTREACH + ENGAGEMENT SERVICES
- EDUCATION + OUTREACH | Newsletters, Brochures, Outreach Plans, Graphic Design, Curriculum Development, Program Design
- EVENTS | Workshops, Design Charrettes, Open Houses, Walking Tours
- PUBLIC ART | Art Installations, Collaborations with Community Partners
- RESEARCH + TECHNICAL WRITING | Survey Design + Analysis, Case Studies, Reports
- FUNDING SUPPORT | Assistance with finding partnerships and project funding for outreach
COMMUNITY ADVISORY COMMITTEES + DESIGN GUIDELINES
- Goleta Old Town Redevelopment Project Advisory Committee (PAC), Manager
- Goleta Old town Design Advisory Committee Manager, Goleta Old Town Redevelopment Program
- Goleta Old Town Design Guidelines, Project Manager with Santa Barbara County
- Division-Hawthorne Main Street Design Guidelines + The Division Design Initiative – Heather Flint Chatto cofounded this inter-neighborhood coalition to improve meaningful community input around new development and growth. This fostered collaborations with PSU, SE Uplift, four neighborhood associations, business associations, city staff, and Architecture for Humanity. Through these collaborations, she has helped lead citizen advocacy and public engagement efforts including: inter-neighborhood design committees, community preference surveys, design walking tours, “Your Voice Matters” interactive public art installations, and policy advocacy on key issues such as upcoming city-wide building design standards (DOZA policy), Mixed Use Zoning, and Neighborhood Notification. Most recently, the group has created the newly adopted Division-Hawthorne Main St. Design Guidelines, a model that any neighborhood can use to clarify their own design vision and preferences.
- Your Voice Matters Interactive Art + Engagement Project – 10 Art Unique Installations in partnership with Architecture for Humanity
- AASHE Sustainability Staffing Survey – Provided technical analysis and graphics for the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- Division Perception Survey
TRAINING, OUTREACH + PROGRAM DESIGN
- California Zero Energy Buildings Leadership Network – Zero Net Energy Building Curriculum + Trainings
- ZNE Action Bulletin Newsletter – Project Manager, writer, researcher, and designer for five years of the national publication on issues such as new technology, leading buildings, training, events, and public policy.
- Zero Energy School Retrofit Program Curriculum + Statewide Trainings – While With New Buildings Institute, managed development of curriculum for state agencies and other early adopters of zero energy buildings in California. Developed presentations, workbooks, case studies, organized events and speakers, provided facilitation and follow up takeaways and communication with participants.
- California Zero Energy Recognition + Awards Program – Project management of the First Zero Net Energy Recognition Program in the Country. Project included technical research, writing, public outreach, stakeholder facilitation, award and material design, promotion and event launch.
- Zero Energy Fellowship Program – Research and program proposal for the just launched first ZNE Fellowship program in the country.
- Advancing Adaptive Affordable Green Housing Workshop
- Santa Barbara County Open House Annual Event
- Tiara Stormwater Management Demonstration Home – Watershed Council Partnership with Habitats Inc for public green building tours, wrote and secured $40,000 for stormwater features including the green roof, cistern, bioswales, drywell
- City of Lake Forest Park 100 Year Legacy Plan – As Project Manager for the Green Futures Research + Design Lab, Heather Flint Chatto was part of the design team to coordinate and lead public engagement for the development of the Legacy Plan. Work included hosting a Green Infrastructure Community Open House and Festival, Community Charette, and analysis of community surveys.